CBD Oil: Benefits
Cannabinoids are chemical compounds derived from cannabis or marijuana plant, Cannabis Sativa. Cannabidiol is one such cannabinoid that is extracted from the plant and further diluted with hemp seed or coconut oil. CBD acts as a very famous remedy for several widespread ailments.
Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) is another cannabinoid obtained from the Cannabis plant, this psychoactive compound usually induces effects like marijuana. It interferes with the functions of the mind and produces a feeling of getting “high”. On the contrary, CBD does not induce any such psychotic effects and is hence preferred over THC. Herein we introduce you to the 7 therapeutic effects of CBD oil.
From the past many centuries, marijuana has been widely used for its brilliant analgesic effects. Recent studies have proved that CBD present in marijuana has been a major element for inducing analgesic effects. The endocannabinoid system inside the human body is responsible for regulating functions like pain, sleep, etc. The endocannabinoids produced by the body are the neurotransmitters that bind to the cannabinoid receptors and induce the sensation of pain. CBD plays its role by interacting with these neurotransmitters and hence interfering with the endocannabinoid receptor activity. Recent studies state that THC in combination with CBD can be extremely effective in the treatment of multiple sclerosis and arthritis
Mental disorders such as anxiety and depression are readily increasing all around the globe. Benzodiazepines are the first-line medications prescribed for the treatment of depression. But the major side effect of benzodiazepines is that it can lead to substance abuse, which is why its prolonged use is not encouraged.
CBD has the ability to act on the receptors in the brain and produce a compound called serotonin which is responsible for regulating the mood. Hence, CBD has been proved to be highly effective in treating anxiety and depression.
CBD is also popular for reducing chemotherapy-induced side effects such as pain, nausea, and vomiting. When used in combination with THC, it helps to lower down the cancer-related pain. Some of the recent laboratory and animal studies suggest that it also has certain cancer-fighting properties but no final conclusions have been made about the same.
Acne is a skin condition that is usually caused by the overproduction of sebum from the sebaceous glands. This increased oil production leads to inflammation and hence acne. CBD oil has proven to be effective in treating acne because of its anti-inflammatory properties. CBD also has the ability to lower down the sebum production from sebaceous glands.
A lot of patients suffering from neurological disorders such as multiple sclerosis and epilepsy have benefited from the use of CBD. It interferes with the endocannabinoid system. In Alzheimer patients, CBD prevents neurodegeneration and its anti-inflammatory properties also help to reduce the inflammation. It is also considered to be effective in improving the sleep and behavior patterns of a patient suffering from Parkinson’s disease.
High blood pressure is an underlying cause for various heart ailments such as heart attack, stroke, etc. There have been several studies going on to study the effect of CBD on the circulatory system of the human body. Some of the studies conducted in the past state that stress-reducing properties of CBD indirectly help to lower down the blood pressure and thus protect us from serious heart ailments. The powerful antioxidant action of CBD is effective in reducing oxidative stress.
Other health benefits
- Antipsychotic properties helpful in the treatment of neurological disorders
- Anti-inflammatory properties help in reducing the incidence of diabetes
- Antitumor properties have also been confirmed in certain laboratory and animal studies
- It has also been found effective in substance abuse treatment associated with morphine and heroin.
Side effects related to the use of CBD
CBD has been considered relatively safe. But some people have encountered certain adverse reactions, some of which are listed below :
- Fatigue – the constant feeling of being tired or exhausted. Some of the patients administered with CBD tend to feel extremely tired throughout and also experience a constant urge to sleep.
- Diarrhea- CBD can also interfere with the normal gastric processes and hence cause diarrhea which is characterized by loose and watery stools
- Appetite change and weight gain
- Potential harmful drug interactions- it is known to interact with medications that have a ” grapefruit” warning. Grapefruit and CBD interfere with cytochrome p450 which is necessary for drug metabolism. Thus such drug interaction can cause liver toxicity.